David Wojnarowicz: A Definitive History of Five or Six Years on the Lower East Side | Book, Essay
- Book description:
In February 1991, the artist David Wojnarowicz (1954-1992) and the philosopher Sylvere Lotringer met in a borrowed East Village apartment to conduct a long-awaited dialogue on Wojnarowicz's work. Wojnarowicz was then at the peak of his notoriety as the fiercest antagonist of morals crusader Senator Jesse Helms--a notoriety that Wojnarowicz alternately embraced and rejected. Already suffering the last stages of AIDS, David saw his dialogue with Lotringer as a chance to set the record straight on his aspirations, his personal history, and his political views. The two arranged to have this three-hour dialogue video-recorded by a mutual friend, the artist Marion Scemama.Lotringer held on to the tape for a long time. After Wojnarowicz's death the following year, he found the transcript enormously moving, yet somehow incomplete. David was trying, often with heartbreaking eloquence, to define not just his career but its position in time. The subject was huge, and transcended the actual dialogue. Lotringer then spent the next several years gathering additional commentary on Wojnarowicz's life and work from those who knew him best--the friends with whom he collaborated.Lotringer solicited personal testimony from Wojnarowicz's friends and other artists, including Mike Bildo, Steve Brown, Julia Scher, Richard Kern, Carlo McCormick, Ben Neill, Kiki Smith, Nan Goldin, Marguerite van Cook, and others. What emerges from these masterfully-conducted interviews is a surprising insight into something art history knows, but systematically hides: the collaborative nature of the work of any "great artist." All these respondents had, at one time, made performances, movies, sculptures, photographs, and other collaborative works with Wojnarowicz. In this sense, Wojnarowicz appears not only as a great originator, but as a great synthesizer. "
- Book Authors:
- Sylvère Lotringer ( born in 1938 in Paris, France ) is a literary critic and cultural theoretician. A younger coeval of Gilles Deleuze, Félix Guattari, Jean Baudrillard, Paul Virilio and Michel Foucault, he is best known for synthesising Gallic theory with American literary, cultural and architectural daring motions through his work with Semiotext ( vitamin E ) ; and for his readings of Gallic theory in a 21st-century context. An influential translator of Jean Baudrillard 's theories, Lotringer invented the construct extrapolationist as a agency of depicting the inflated world-views espoused by Baudrillard and Paul Virilio. Lotringer is a Professor of Foreign Philosophy at the European Graduate School in Saas-Fee, Switzerland.
- Chris Kraus is a author, film maker, and professor of movie at European Graduate School in Saas-Fee, Switzerland. [ 1 ] Her books include I Love Dick, Aliens & Anorexia, and Torpor. Video Green, Kraus ' first non-fiction book examines the detonation of late 1990s art by high-profile alumnus plans that catapulted Los Angeles into the centre of the international art universe. Her movies include Gravity & Grace, How To Shoot A Crime, and The Golden Bowl, or, Repression.
- Librarian Note: There is more than one writer in the Goodreads database with this name.
David Wojnarowicz: A Definitive History of Five or Six Years on the Lower East Side Essay
- I appreciated the read, and the memories. Those photos entirely are stupefying reminders of a universe in which we one time lived. And while I enjoyed the glances of a David through his creative person friends, more than the bulk were from earlier on in his life. They did n't remember the David that I knew, more from the clip when he became more involved in the political relations of a New Yorker life with AIDS, ACT Up, etc. Still, I miss this adult male so much, and his authorship and art still stalk me. OK so here 's the trade: astonishing papers of creative persons who hung together about this singular 1
- David wojnarowicz: a definitive history of five or six years on the lower east side essay topics, david wojnarowicz: a definitive history of five or six years on the lower east side essay thesis, david wojnarowicz: a definitive history of five or six years on the lower east side critical essay, david wojnarowicz: a definitive history of five or six years on the lower east side research paper, david wojnarowicz: a definitive history of five or six years on the lower east side analysis essay, david wojnarowicz: a definitive history of five or six years on the lower east side argumentative essay, david wojnarowicz: a definitive history of five or six years on the lower east side college essay, david wojnarowicz: a definitive history of five or six years on the lower east side essay help.
- Books written by these Authors:
- Bernanke's Test: Ben Bernanke, Alan Greenspan, and the Drama of the Central Banker
- Intimate Moments with the Hebrew Names of God
- Job Interviews That Mean Business
- One Day, All Children...: The Unlikely Triumph Of Teach For America And What I Learned Along The Way
- Resumes for Success
- Resumes That Mean Business
- Sexual Harassment Awareness Training: 60 Practical Activities for Trainers
- Starting and Operating a Home-Based Business
- The Chicago School: How the University of Chicago Assembled the Thinkers Who Revolutionized Economics and Business
- The Home Business Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Start and Run Your Successful Home-Based Business
- The Ultimate Job Book