Makers of Modern Strategy from Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age | Book, Essay
- Book description:
War cannot be controlled in future without an understanding of its past. These essays analyse war, its strategic characteristics and its political and social functions, over the past five centuries.
- Book Authors:
- American historiographer who has specialised in German military history in the Napoleonic epoch and German creative persons of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Makers of Modern Strategy from Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age Essay
- Most of the essays contained in this volume are first-class! I merely read Clausewitz though In my experience, anthologies are ever a kind of coin flip with essays being either really good or really bad, due to the fact that it 's a aggregation of different writers with different thoughts and different manners. It 's rare to happen one where all the essays are great and interesting reads, but this book is one of those. A aggregation of essays on military history, scheme, and schemes get downing with Machiavelli in the sixteenth century all the manner to the terminal of the Cold War. Every major military leader and mind in Western history during this clip period is at that place and subjects are varied plenty so that it is non ever Army tactics that are covered. It besides includes essays on the Navy and Air power that are intriguing. It even includes a chapter on modern radical wars, or insurgences as we would name them today, that is non to be missed. And, I have to state, there was n't one essay that I felt was otiose or boring. , an accomplishment for an anthology of this size. The lone thing that I would state is that, since this was most late updated in 1986, it does necessitate to add a few new chapters on robotics and cyberwarfare. In malice of its age and length, this was a great read and I extremely recommend it to anyone interested in the development of modern, Western military scheme over the centuries. You can read this from screen to cover if you like, or take a subdivision that involvements you and get down at that place. Both a comprehensive overview of the development of modern scheme ( largely military, but does acquire into diplomatic negotiations and economic sciences for some periods ) and a good mention tool for pupils of military scientific discipline, history, and international dealingss. The most recent edition covers post-Cold War. If all you want is a simple military history text, this book is non for you. But if you are a pupil of world-wide military scheme from the last twosome centuries, it is a good, really thorough read. about as though it a were a reader for a military scheme class, though I miss the ancient Hagiographas. This is a great resource and overview of authoritative scheme. It was foremost published in 1943, and has been updated about every coevals or so. It gets down to the nitty gritty on the major strategians such as Clausewitz, Jomini, Mahan, etc. This should be in every strategian 's library. A brilliant listing of essays the thought of 'grand scheme ' , which is a distinguishable field of analysis from merely history, political scientific discipline, or even economic sciences. That is, what is the most optimum usage of force to accomplish aims in war? Very interesting read for those of you who like to decode how our military leading has developed some of its current tactics Impressive in all respects even when sing the latest edition is from 1986. The Bible of stragetic idea. It needs updating, with some station cold-war analysis. It is still the individual best volume of western military idea. I have read the book legion times and it still remains solid I 've been intending to read this book for old ages!
- Makers of modern strategy from machiavelli to the nuclear age essay topics, makers of modern strategy from machiavelli to the nuclear age essay thesis, makers of modern strategy from machiavelli to the nuclear age critical essay, makers of modern strategy from machiavelli to the nuclear age research paper, makers of modern strategy from machiavelli to the nuclear age analysis essay, makers of modern strategy from machiavelli to the nuclear age argumentative essay, makers of modern strategy from machiavelli to the nuclear age college essay, makers of modern strategy from machiavelli to the nuclear age essay help.
- Books written by these Authors:
- The Trial of Jeanne d'Arc