Ogden Nash: The Life and Work of America's Laureate of Light Verse | Book, Essay
- Book description:
Candy Is dandy But liquor Is quicker. These inimitable lines could only have been written by Ogden Nash, the American nonpareil of light verse and one of the most remarkable figures in American letters. His keen grasp of human nature and a unique style of verse made him, in the mid-twentieth century, the most widely read and frequently quoted poet of his time. For years, readers have longed for a biography to match Nash's charm, wit, and good nature; now we have it in Douglas Parker's absorbing and delightful life of the poet. My garden will never make me famous, I'm a horticultural ignoramus, I can't tell a stringbean from a soybean, Or even a girl bean from a boy bean. Ogden Nash grew up in Savannah, Georgia, went to prep school in Newport, Rhode Island, dropped out of Harvard after his freshman year, and soon after started work as an editor with Doubleday. When he began publishing humorous poems in the New Yorker, and later when he worked at the magazine, he became part of the literary circle that included E. B. and Katharine White, Dorothy Parker, Harold Ross, and S. J. Perelman. He went on to publish more than two dozen books of verse as well as screenplays, lyrics and scripts for the theater, children's stories, and essays. Douglas Parker, who has had exclusive access to family letters and diaries, and permission to quote liberally from them and from Nash's poems, has written a warm and inviting biography of the poet who reveled in pure whimsy and wordplay, but who was applauded by his more serious contemporaries. With 12 black-and-white photographs.
- Book Authors:
- Dana Gioia is an internationally acclaimed and award-winning poet. Former Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts, Gioia is a native Californian of Italian and Mexican descent. He received a B.A. and a M.B.A. from Stanford University and an M.A. in Comparative Literature from Harvard University. ( Gioia is pronounced JOY-uh. ) Gioia has published four full-length aggregations of poesy, every bit good as eight chapbooks. His poesy aggregation, Interrogations at Noon, won the 2002 American Book Award. An influential critic every bit good, Gioia 's 1991 volume Can Poetry Matter? , which was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle award, is credited with assisting to resuscitate the function of poesy in American public culture.Gioia 's reappraisals have appeared in many magazines including The New Yorker, The Atlantic, The Washington Post Book World, The New York Times Book Review, Slate, and The Hudson Review. Gioia has written two opera libretti and is an active transcriber of poesy from Latin, Italian, and German.As Chairman of the NEA, Gioia succeeded in earning enthusiastic bi-partisan support in the United States Congress for the mission of the Arts Endowment, every bit good as in beef uping the national consensus in favour of public support for the humanistic disciplines and humanistic disciplines instruction. ( Business Week Magazine referred to him as The Man Who Saved the NEA. ) Gioia 's creative activity of a series of NEA National Initiatives combined with a wider distribution of direct grants to make antecedently underserved communities doing the bureau genuinely national in range. Through plans such as Shakespeare in American Communities, Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience, NEA Jazz Masters, American Masterpieces, and Poetry Out Loud, the Arts Endowment has successfully reached 1000000s of Americans in all corners of the country.The Big Read became the largest literary plan in the history of the federal authorities. By the terminal of 2008, 400 communities had held month-long jubilations of great literature. Because of these successes every bit good as the continued artistic excellence of the NEA 's nucleus grant plans, the Arts Endowment, under Chairman Gioia, reestablished itself as a leading federal bureau and a leader in the humanistic disciplines and humanistic disciplines education.Renominated in November 2006 for a 2nd term and one time once more nem con confirmed by the U.S. Senate, Dana Gioia is the 9th Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts.Gioia left his place as Chairman on January 22, 2009. In 2011 Gioia became the Judge Widney Professor of Poetry and Public Culture at the University of Southern California where he teaches each autumn semester.Gioia has been the receiver of 10 honorary grades. He has won legion awards, including the 2010 Laetare Medal from Notre Dame. He and his married woman, Mary, have two boies. He divides his clip between Los Angeles and Sonoma County, California
Ogden Nash: The Life and Work of America's Laureate of Light Verse Essay
- However the townhouse was comfy and cheery. It had three sleeping rooms, one of which Nash used for an office ; another served as a invitee room for grandchildren ( or, as Nash put it, 'the touring midgets. ' ) . All right life of New Yorker poet Nash, celebrated for Candy/is Dandy/But liquor/is Quicker and other short verse forms of notion and affecting wit. Nash, of patrician line of descent and noblesse oblige propensities, really has household roots in Hillsborough, NC ( I knew that was a bigheaded topographic point ) , but for all that seems like a nice guy.. I liked that this was organized, non merely chronologically, but by different facets of Nash 's work. I love lifes... I need to read more of them. I purchased this book for my library to attach to the 7th class poet life undertaking. It is a small lengthy for a junior high mention book, but it made for a absorbing read into the life of a truly gifted and low adult male. I was delighted to happen this book. Rather than citing Nash 's poetry at length, Parker uses quotes rather judiciously to exemplify assorted points he 's doing. This made me desire to read more of Nash 's aggregations, which I feel is an index of a good life.
- Ogden nash: the life and work of america's laureate of light verse essay topics, ogden nash: the life and work of america's laureate of light verse essay thesis, ogden nash: the life and work of america's laureate of light verse critical essay, ogden nash: the life and work of america's laureate of light verse research paper, ogden nash: the life and work of america's laureate of light verse analysis essay, ogden nash: the life and work of america's laureate of light verse argumentative essay, ogden nash: the life and work of america's laureate of light verse college essay, ogden nash: the life and work of america's laureate of light verse essay help.
- Books written by these Authors:
- Batman: Detective
- Capitol Kisses
- Darkness: Spear Of Destiny
- Justice League of America, Vol. 3: The Injustice League
- Supergirl: Identity
- Superman/Batman: Enemies Among Us
- Superman/Batman Vol. 5: The Enemies Among Us
- Superman/Batman, Vol. 5: The Enemies Among Us
- The Darkness Compendium, Vol. 1
- The Darkness Compendium Volume 1
- The Darkness: Original Sin
- The Magdalena: Volume 1
- Titans, Volume 1: Old Friends